Tuesday, November 10, 2009

UFO's

 There are many UFO's lurking within the rooms of my house.  I have committed myself to the completion of two quilt tops and a Christmas tree skirt, and perhaps I'll toss in a few knitted items that have been languishing about - all of this before the new year arrives.  I'm telling myself that this is a GOOD thing - that I have always worked best under pressure.  We'll see how it goes.

This vintage vest started out as a contender.  But, no matter how long and hard I've searched, I cannot find the yarn to complete it!  It's a mystery.  Sad too, because I like this old Rowan pattern and my stranded workmanship was really fine!  (I'd forgotten)


This piece is a real heart breaker.   The yarn is MIA - where could I have stored these lovely old skeins?  I am sorely tempted to send these two pieces to Morna over at Bittersweet  to see what kind of amazing creations she could fashion them into.  Have you seen what she can do with felting?  Totally extraordinary stuff.  Go ahead -take a skip over there, I'll wait...


Onward and upward - here's something that you don't hear a lot about in quilterly circles - this next piece is, (gasp) HAND quilted!!!  That's right, this was the LAST piece that I hand quilted.  It's a pivotal piece, deeply sentimental in a profound way - so much so that I have been unable to bring myself to finish it.

It is, without question, heavily influenced by Gwen Marston.  It is also the first quilted piece that I ever embellished with beads.  Which leads me to my discovery of Janice, over at idreamofbeading.  I walked into her brand new sparkling shop with this bad boy tucked under my arm.  I explained that I was there for the beads!!!  She nodded, with her cheshire-cat smile, and introduced me to the world of beading.  It was like learning Italian or salsa dancing or finding one's 'wind' when running.... unforgettable.  Janice gurl, I miss you!  When are you coming over for a brewski, I mean, beading session?


Anyway, I made this piece for the Can-Do-Guy's youngest child who is now in her second year of college, working toward a nursing degree.  She'd probably like to have her quilt before she graduates and it is ear marked as one of the pieces that will be finished before the New Year!  Hang in there, Bren, it's coming!  Check out this hand quilting ....

I used to really enjoy the process of quilting a large piece - and I do miss that quiet self-absorbed activity... the quick little sharp needle pushing through fiber like butter, the small evenly spaced stitches, the satisfaction of completing a hoop's worth - you hand quilters - you know of what I speak!!!  I think that there is another quilt in my future that requires my hand - I'll show that to you when I get the layers together - it's the second piece that I have committed to completion this year.


P.S. found a photo of my Janice vending at a local quilt show (do you recognize my pumpkin banner in the background?)  I tell her that I just want to back my SUV up to her booth and load it up!







3 comments:

Paulina said...

There is. It is the peace of not only feeling the needle glide above and under, in and out, but there is also the sound of the thread as you pull it through, the song as you develop the steady movement. I understand why artists like machine quilting. It is even and fast. But nothing compares to the meditation of hand quilting. You colors are wonderful. How I love seing your work.

Bea said...

That quilt looks quite pretty. Handwork is amazing. I'm certain that is something I haven't got the patience for.

MeinSie said...

could it be that I actually remember your knitting that UFO with the triangles? Almost 13 years ago???? Maybe not, but it hits my eye/memory as such. Well - I still have an Aran sweater for Dulce that I started when she was still in high school - she'll be 32 this December!