Tuesday, February 1, 2011

hand quilting and compensation

Snow, snow and tonight the illustrious cousin to snow - Freezing Rain!  woo-hoo, I LUV the northeast.  I hauled myself out of my warm nest this morning, thinking that the college would be on a delay.  No such luck.  SO I asked the Big Guy to drive me in, and he complied.  It was a treacherous trek.  But here's the part that really has me frosted - the college never called a delay. They closed down at 8:30 when 95% of the staff was already on the road, risking life and limb, to get to work.  This is just WRONG.  I am beyond pissed.  WAY beyond.  Compensation, folks - OVERTIME!  Show me the $$$$ - nothing else will do.


When I finally arrived back at the haciendo, I started a pot roast and pulled out the Boat quilt (Baby James is getting ready to make his debut.)  Suddenly, it occurred to me!  Why would I consider machine quilting when my thread box overflows with splendid colours made specifically for the symphony of needle and thread - nipping in and out of flannel and batting and quilt top in that lovely little rhyme ... 
I've MISSED my hand quilting - it's been such a long time since I engaged in what was once my favorite pastime.  I can remember when it was necessary to quilt 10 stitches to an inch.  LOL.  These days I am happy if the thread is gorgeous, doesn't knot, and my stitches follow each other in a semi straight row!
I'm enjoying this process very much.  OH!  A package arrived -
WEBS is having a grand sale.  That ethereal pink shade keeps finding its way to me -
Does anyone have a wonderful scarf pattern (cables preferred) for a delicious chunky weight yarn?  I might have to resort to my own design work!  
Harley DOES. NOT. CARE.  Knitting is not on his mind.  He wants to go outdoors and chase those big black crows away from the feeders.  Andrew gave him a bath this past weekend and he's still feeling peevish and cranky about it.  The new duck toy and chewie bone are pale compensation.  He prefers butter.  

4 comments:

JelliDonut said...

Wow! That's really irresponsible, waiting so long to make the decision to close. I'd be pissed too!

How about reversible cables for that scarf?

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I would have been pissed too. The person in charge was probably reading the rule book to find the right rule to say they could cancel.

At least you had a fun day. I hope not too much freezing rain. We have gotten at least 8" of snow and it's still coming down. I can't see the porch steps any more because of the drifting. ah, winter...

Bea said...

I love hand sewing things. I haven't tried my hands at hand quilting yet, but I suspect I'll like that too. That bone that Harley has would not still be there. Abby and Gus can devour those in seconds. We have to have heartier fare around here.

MeinSie said...

have often thought of hand-sewing clothing...feels restful in my imaginings.