Sunday, February 20, 2011

the blues

This may not be the CURE for the blues, but it surely makes me feel better.  Starting a new project is uplifting, no matter what.  Do you remember this cashmere?  It's off to the races - the 'Karen Shawl' has begun!  And Jodi, if you're following, zip it!  It's a secret.  Oh, and Jode?  Thank you for everything - you and Stephen warmed my heart with your goodness and concern.  I DO have the tupperware!  (the muffins were amazing AND demolished early on!)  I love you.  Always have, always will.
Karen's Shawl is the perennial 'Wing of the Moth' by Anne Hanson.  She is the only designer who can make me throw my conviction to the wind - the one in which I declare NEVER to knit the same piece twice.  This will be the (clears throat) third Wing.  The first two live at my house!  This pattern defines intuitive knitting which is a very good thing.  I do not wish to rip out cashmere mistakes.
Our house is filled with flowers.  Although I wish that the reason they came could be different, I am still very grateful for the beauty and fragrance of each bouquet.
This arrangement arrived early in the week from my coworkers.  After that, I kind of lost track.  We did ask for donations to the local SPCA, but some people march to their own drummer!  I like it and I'm not complaining.
How about a closer peek behind that lily?  There's a photo of Hilary and me when she was so small - precious.
The inlaws have a place on Candlewood Lake in Ct where we spent many summer days, bare footed and sun kissed.  Hilary never took to the life preserver!  Even at an early age she was declaring her freedom but, she always lost on that one - thus, the scowl.  (The rubber pig in the background belongs to Jack.  He becomes consumed - fierce with protection whenever Harley approaches it so we have to hide it).  
My sister forwarded this portion of an Emily Dickinson poem earlier in the week.  


The bustle in a house
The morning after death
Is solemnest of industries
Enacted upon earth-
The sweeping up the heart,
and putting love away
We shall not want to use again
until Eternity.



No comments: