Friday, February 18, 2011

last sunrise

Valentine's Day sunrise was exquisite.  I grabbed the camera without forethought.  I didn't know that it would be my father's final sunrise.  And what a show it was -
The Creator pulled from all corners of His palette.
Moments later-
Astonishing.  
We buried my father today.  We had Color Guard standing sentinel.  We had a military send off at the grave site.  We are patriotic people - stirred by service and love of country.  My father would have liked all of this - he would have approved of the arrangements that his wife and daughters put into place.  His heart would have been glad - so many came to say goodbye, to share stories, to laugh, to weep, to honor the man that they knew.  Good bye, father of mine.  I am so grateful that your suffering is over.  Alzheimer's stole so much of who you were from us that I have only my memories of the good old days, not of your last days when you no longer recognized your loved ones.  
I will miss you until we meet again.


 

5 comments:

Maria said...

Thank God for eternity!!!

Jody said...

Amen, Maria!!!

Jane/WTKnits said...

Sorry for your loss Jody, but blessed by your words. Praise God for His colourful send off that day!

Bea said...

What a lovely send off for him.

Chris said...

So sorry for you loss - what a beautiful and approproriate way to honor your father, with a gorgeous sunrise! I am patriotic too - my dad (Navy) often referred to himself as a Great American Patriot, and it rubbed off on all us kids - and now on my kids, too. Blessings~