Thursday, January 28, 2010

ANNIE'S QUILT

Annie is the angel who helps to care for my father at the Lutheran Home.  She is the most remarkable young woman.  On any given day you can walk into the facility to find Annie 'decorating' for a holiday or singing vintage songs or doing some kind of wild jig or painting someone's nails or handing out hugs.  She is all heart, that girl, and we love her.  And that is an understatement.


So for this special young woman - a gift.  One from the heart to someone who is ALL heart.
Yes - Linda Hibbert's signature quilting is all over this quilt - once again her thread play elevated my piece from 'nice' to Extraordinary.  She used at least four different colors and her design work is playful and beautiful - just like our Annie.
I finished the binding yesterday and am working on a special label.  I'm planning to present this to Annie next week. I hope that it will express how important she is to this family -  how much we value the work that she does, how much we cherish her and how grateful we are to have her looking after our father.


The binding is nice too - a fossil fern with that dreamy watery quality that my camera cannot quite capture...
In case you were wondering - I've got the quilt snuggled in a black plastic garbage bag - pulling out only the area that I need to work on.  This method goes a long way toward preventing Harley hair from attaching itself to the quilt!  


We are currently caught in a cold snap with snow squalls and frigid wind whistling down through the cracks of this old house.  I know that for some being 'marooned' at home is a sentence of sorts, but for me - it is pure grace.  I like nothing better than to be cut off from the hustle and bustle of obligations and work and traffic.  Give me a snow day and throw in some cabin fever and I'm a happy camper.  You can be sure that I'll find myself in the kitchen at some point, concocting a large pot of soup.  Today's special was green pea soup - made from scratch with a ham bone and generous ham bits.
There were toasted buttered croutons to accompany this dish.  We may not always have what we want, but we have enough today.  More than enough to be grateful for.

2 comments:

Bea said...

The quilt is lovely. I'm sure she'll enjoy it and I'm glad to hear your father receives good care.

As for the pea soup...well I'll let you have it all...

Bea said...

Also I think that last word verification just called me a dingbat which really wasn't nice of it.