Wednesday, April 21, 2010

TIME TO TILL

Have to get the vegetable garden in.  Turns out that the raised beds are not in the cards for 2010 - but Scott was agreeable enough to the hard work -
The shad fly is already out and relentless - making this otherwise pleasurable experience a test of wits!  
The apple trees are in full blossom and the fragrance is indescribable.  I want to hold onto this brief passage - these slim days between bud and blossom as they are so fleeting, so ethereal.
In every direction that we gaze - row after row of creamy fragrant flowers - dreamlike.  When I walked out to see the garden fully tilled, the blossoms lay on the ground - as if a gigantic ticker-tape parade had passed through -
simply magical.  No other way to describe this -  and beyond, the vegetable garden sans ornament -
BIG plans for a fully functional season - onion sets and lettuce to go in this weekend.  Everyone likes the feel of the fluffy turned earth under their paws feet!  We couldn't get this guy to exit!
No photographic documentation, but we SAW the bluebird couple checking out their appointed house - that unmistakably flash of brilliant blue on the lawn and then the peachy underside - we were so excited, so enthralled, that we could not speak!  The female actually went inside of the house while the male stood sentinel.  People - this is really really HUGE for us as we have never been able to encourage bluebirds to this property.  Stay tuned...  

3 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

It looks like you have a lot of apple trees. I'm glad you didn't have to do the hard work preparing the garden. now how do you keep the dog out of there after you plant?

Paulina said...

I can't wait to travel the summer through your garden in your blog. I will be dreaming of recipes to cook as you talk of all the vegetables. And maybe I will find flowers to put on my table. When your fruits begin to arrive I will bake pies. I may be 3000 miles away, but I want to pretend I am there. So the more you talk of your gardens, the more I am going to try to cook as though I am there. You see?

Bea said...

Glad the garden is in. I love the apple trees. Wish I could be there to smell them.