Tuesday, April 27, 2010

BLACK GOLD

When I got home tonight Scott was in the driveway and grinning broadly.  Uh-oh, I thought, what can THIS mean?
We have some serious gardening equipment around here.  This trailer is one of my favorites because it holds about three yards of mulch AND it has a lift.  But what in the devil has he got in it this time?  We haven't had discussion around this and Scott is the King of Surprises ...
He's obviously quite pleased with himself ...
Compost for the vegetable garden - a gorgeous dark mixture that has been screened - black gold.  Leaf mulch and manure - along with several additives that Scott refuses to reveal.  He can be very secretive.
The lift is a God-send, especially in the heat of the summer when the beds need mulching and one's energy level is flagging.  I actually lent a hand here - but stepped back for photos.  We made several piles in the garden and will rake it out and then till it all in.  THEN the serious planting begins!
Harley doesn't give a fiddler's fart about planting!  He is very interested in rolling and kicking.  And dinner. These are the nights when dinner is had on the fly.  I made sauce and meatballs on Sunday, so it will be a snap tonight.  I am trying to be more aware of time management because there are not enough hours in an April day to accomplish everything, and food preparation lives low on the list.  
I have to go - the couch is calling and my Mara Shawl wants my attention.


No comments: